phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

The end

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:45 pm 
Post subject: Re: The end

The Microsoft compared to phpBB debate doesn't need to be started here. It didn't work at .com and it certainly won't change anything if brought up again here. Therefore, we do not need any further comments (responses or otherwise) along those lines.

I can't see this topic covering anything new. As I have requested before, if you have any baggage left from phpbb.com please check it at the gate.

Thanks. icon_cool.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:47 pm 

drathbun wrote:
As I have requested before, if you have any baggage left from phpbb.com please check it at the gate.

So it can be confiscated. icon_razz.gif

drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:48 pm 

Works for me. icon_smile.gif I can sell it on ebay...
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:49 pm 

drathbun wrote:
Works for me. icon_smile.gif I can sell it on ebay...

et tu, Brute? icon_eek.gif

~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:09 pm 

Phpbb.com is back up on a different server.

Acyd Burn From Phpbb.com wrote:
Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen icon_biggrin.gif

As you probably know, we were attacked for unknown reasons by an individual using an exploit against our PHPList installation within hours of the exploit being publicly posted on a well-known exploit site. Facilitated by mistakes and - in retrospect mistaken - performance considerations in our server setup, the attacker was able to steal all email addresses from our mailing list, as well as the password hashes from this board's database. In a reckless act of showmanship, he later posted all this information on a blog.

We urge all our community members to change their passwords as soon as possible. If you have used the same password on any other site, then we strongly recommend changing it there as well.

The public disclosure of private data is an unspeakable attack against all of our users. We cannot comprehend the attacker's motives. The phpBB teams are entirely composed of volunteers working on an honour basis to provide the web with a scalable, secure and user-friendly free forum software. We are not, however, so easily cowed. More so than ever, we are here to create communities with and for our users.

We are greatly pleased to once more provide support in the environment we all love so much. In the past ten days, countless hours have been spent by team members and helpers to restore and sanitise the website and the database. We especially want to thank OSUOSL for providing us with a temporary server for the remainder of the investigation. We welcome everyone to show our community's appreciation by sending them a donation.

We are deeply sorry about the unavailability of the collected resources of phpbb.com and the damage caused. We hope that the improvised support on area51 was enough to keep you all afloat. Let's, once more, make this community the lively place of support, development and discussion it has been for so many years.

Please note that the search is currently unavailable. It will be enabled in the following days.

The phpBB Teams

You can discuss this topic here:http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1436625

11 days ... wow..

Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:02 pm 

So I understand that the hacker posted some information on a blog. Does anyone know what that blog is? icon_smile.gif I'm very interested in finding out the reason for doying this...

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:27 pm 

Google and you will find it. Please do not post links here as we have no desire to give him any more publicity than he already has. Thanks.
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:37 pm 

Hmmmmmmmmm. They're kinda busy this morning. I tried to log in, and got this error message:

Quote:
General Error

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
Ram
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:44 pm 

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-phpBB-Project-Website-Hacked-103772.shtml
roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:54 pm 

Well, I see why they changed servers.

And, according to the blog, they had plain text passwords stored in the database, unless I misread that part of it.

So, do we need to add this line of code to our admin/index.php file, (as suggested by phplist.com), or does that change have to be made on the server?

Code:
  if (isset($_REQUEST['_SERVER'])) { exit; }
cherokee red
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:31 pm 

Quote:
So, do we need to add this line of code to our admin/index.php file, (as suggested by phplist.com), or does that change have to be made on the server?

You only need to do that if you have phpList installed. If you don't, you don't need to do anything.

Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:20 pm 

But why do they need PHPList? icon_rolleyes.gif Why not just phpBB, keep it simple, stay clean. icon_confused.gif
Anyway, it is strange that they say that phpBB2 passwords are no good and this is why they no longer support phpBB2, but why not fix them, if this is the problem? icon_neutral.gif This smells fishy to me, I think it may be possible that they hack themself just to say "look, this is why no phpBB2". Not sure if it's the case, it is just a supposition...

I have to security questions about this hacking thing:
1.How to deny password recovery for admins and moderators?
2.How to not let people bin JPEG files with other things, when uploading avatars?

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:30 pm 

Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:
But why do they need PHPList? icon_rolleyes.gif Why not just phpBB, keep it simple, stay clean. icon_confused.gif

PHPList is a piece of software specifically designed for handling mailing lists and phpBB is a bulletin board software.

Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:
Anyway, it is strange that they say that phpBB2 passwords are no good and this is why they no longer support phpBB2, but why not fix them, if this is the problem? icon_neutral.gif This smells fishy to me, I think it may be possible that they hack themself just to say "look, this is why no phpBB2". Not sure if it's the case, it is just a supposition...

What a strange thing to say - I am sure that you meant that as a joke. icon_rolleyes.gif

Jim
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:33 pm 

phpbb2 was not the problem. It was the phplist. If some one is telling you that phpbb2 was at fault for this, they are full of Image link
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:40 pm 

But this is what they say, the guys from phpBB.com. They say they give up phpBB2 because it is easy to break, but I did not see any break when they where running phpBB2. icon_rolleyes.gif Just read what they said when the site was down, and you'll see how they say this is the reason for dropping support for phpBB2. icon_wink.gif So this is why I say, and I may be worng, it is just a supposition, it is possible to do all this show just to have a reason for not supporting phpBB2. And how come the hacker hacked phpBB.com on 1 february? icon_confused.gif Why any other day, why it has to be the 1st of february? I don't know, maybe I am wrong, but I have some questions on my head, right now. icon_confused.gif

Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 4 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group