phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

The Registration Rate On My Board Has Improved,

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:05 pm 
Post subject: The Registration Rate On My Board Has Improved,

and it has done so without a single instance of a bot registration. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but new registrations on my board seem to be up by at least about a third, compared with the previous arrangement, and so far, at least, they all appear to be "valid" new members, who are there for the right reasons. Remember the discussion we had in this thread about anti-spamming measures?

http://www.phpbb2refugees.com/viewtopic.php?t=97

I was already using the RAC MOD, so I also incorporated a couple of the other suggestions mentioned in that thread, that were intended to make the registration process more user-friendly, and lo and behold - the registration rate on my board has improved significantly since then, with no problems whatsoever.

Also, there seems to be fewer new registrants who wait a while to post, or who never post, though I see no reason why that should have been affected.

All I did was to deselect the CAPTCHA requirement, and select automatic activation, (IOW, no system e-mail is sent, for which a response is mandatory). I'm pretty sure that a lot of registrants never received their e-mail, and not being technically-oriented, they may have just decided that they were not computer-savy enough to register for that board, so they moved on.
Dog Cow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:23 pm 
Post subject: Re: The Registration Rate On My Board Has Improved,

What I've done is to allow inactive users to log in and browse around, but they can't modify the database in any good method, such as by posting messages, sending PMs, or using any other site functionality. Ideally, if there's a problem with email activation, the user can click the resend activation link, or he can send me an email to the address listed in the Info Booth.

Since this was done, I also modified the registration system to log the user in as soon as the process is complete. The user is then redirected to a new user tour which explains the basics of the site, and also has a red warning "Don't forget to activate your account!" if the user has not done so.

I've been pretty thorough, I think. No matter where the user enters the cycle, he is then redirected to the tour: if he resends the activation email, or if he chooses to read his email and then activate, he is still directed to the tour.

In addition, I've added "dummy" tracking arguments to some of the URLs in the tour page so I can see how many are being clicked. It is going along fine so far.

It takes a lot of work (especially adding in all the inactive user account checks, and configuring the tour) but it makes the new user experience a lot less hostile.

I also did an invitation system which is pretty nice as well. Since we assume that the invitation is sent to a good email address (well duh, otherwise how would he know?) then the user's account is activated as soon as the process is complete, the two are added to their respective friends lists, and PMs are sent from the two to each other.

I just recently turned the captcha back on for the first time in months because I made some tweaks to it and I think it looks pretty impressive. Whether it is on or off does not affect the number of spam registrations I get, it's solely for decoration these days. icon_razz.gif

Here's my Registration page if there's anyone interested in seeing it in person....

Slackervaara
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:38 am 

I have since my forum started 5 years ago had problems with that some members complained that they could not as logged in view forum, memberlist or private messages. Eventually I discovered that 10 % of my members wrongly clicked upon registration that they were under 13 years old and thus they were turned into inactive users and unable to use the forum.

I removed this alternative from agreement.tpl and after this noone has made this registration error. I think COPPA is just intended for US regulation and is not valid in Sweden, where I live.
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:12 am 

Slackervaara wrote:
I have since my forum started 5 years ago had problems with that some members complained that they could not as logged in view forum, memberlist or private messages. Eventually I discovered that 10 % of my members wrongly clicked upon registration that they were under 13 years old and thus they were turned into inactive users and unable to use the forum.

I removed this alternative from agreement.tpl and after this noone has made this registration error. I think COPPA is just intended for US regulation and is not valid in Sweden, where I live.

correct, the COPPA agreement is strictly a US law.
Your country may or may not have a law of this nature.

Also, If you are a US based board, you can read the law to see if it actually applies to your board/site or not.

It does not apply and is not required for all web sites even in the US.

robert
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group