phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

MY Board == MOD ?

Search this topic... | Search MOD Requests... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Oliver2000
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:57 am 
Post subject: MY Board == MOD ?

Hi there,

Just a question...phpbb2refugees has somehow a modification called "My Board"?

Is this somehow a avalible MOD or is this something selfmade. I searched but did not find this mod somewhere.

thanks
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:30 am 
Post subject: Re: MY Board == MOD ?

Hi, a list of all of the non-standard features for this site can be reviewed here. Each feature is also noted as to whether it will be released as a MOD or not. At this time there are no plans to release the "My Board" feature as a MOD because some of the code is written in perl and it requires more server configuration than we're willing to support. icon_smile.gif
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:07 pm 

ahhh ok thanks.

I like the option to switch and ignore forums on and off on index. So i will code something myself icon_smile.gif

thanks...
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:31 pm 

The basic idea is you give the user a list of forums and allow them to mark them as being ignored. From there you have to use that list on the index page, on the jumpbox, and a variety of other places. The ability to ignore a forum from searching is done separately for a reason. You might want to ignore a forum on the index but if someone posts a topic with related search terms in a hidden forum you might still want to see it.

Or perhaps you want to see the Off Topic forum on the index, but never want to see topics from there in search results.

Today the MOD is done by having a table where each user stores a flag as to which forums they want to view or search. If I were redoing the MOD I would probably store that information in the phpbb_users table rather than in a separate table; the data model is more "correct" by having it in a separate table, but for performance it would be better to "cache" the selections in the user table so that it does not require an extra query.

Oh, and you have to consider whether you're using a sub-forums MOD or not. If so, what happens when you mark a parent forum as ignored? In my implementation all sub-forums were automatically ignored, as it doesn't make sense to display them without a parent. (Note: we don't use sub-forums on this board.)

If you have any questions about the implementation as you work on you own version, please feel free to ask them. icon_smile.gif Good luck on your project.

Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group