phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Popup

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Search this topic... | Search MOD Requests... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:20 pm 
Post subject: Re: Popup

Agreed - the problem though is that a lot of folks are not Bulletin Board literate and it never ceases to surprise me the simple questions that I am sometimes asked. If they nwant to know the answer to a question then they post the question with little thought to whether it has been asked and answered before. Hopefully having this happen to them on a few occasions will show them that "search" is your best friend.

I have edited the files for my own site and intend to give it a try on mine whilst my son is away in Germany for a few days.

Jim
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:32 pm 

Watch your resourses carefully and let us know how it works out for you.Image link
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:31 pm 

I have installed it and have just PM'd my "Staff" to let them know about it before I activate it. (Just activated on their Private forum for testing) but will introduce it to some of the popular fora in a day or so.

It does not do exactly as I imagined so server load will not be great at all.
It seems from my initial tests that what it does is to just search within the forum that the user intends to post into for duplicate key words in their intended Topic Title.
I am pretty sure that it does then only check titles and not post content and only within the current forum.(perhaps someone that codes could check that for me)

In other words it is going to be most effective where users post into the correct forum and where they use proper descriptive titles and where moderators have efficiently been moving topics from incorrect fora.

Jim
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:51 pm 

That's what the MOD does Jim, check for duplicate keywords in existing topic titles in the forum where the user pretends to post a new topic.

I have this MOD installed and found that sometimes a user adds a new post to an existing topic, which is good, but, sometimes the user chooses to add a new post to a topic that's several years old and/or doesn´t really have much in common with the user's post.

Nevertheless I decided to keep the MOD active in a few forums, the ones where most important questions are asked.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:17 pm 

The only issues that I have with it are :-
1) If someone has posted a not very accurate topic title then it will not pick up it being the same subject whereas it would if it search the posts text as well.
Example Using the same one of the tree nails which are wooden pins as used in ancient ship building.
Someone calls then Wooden pins in their topic title, which is corrected by the first responder to the topic who advises that they are really called tree nails. We get maybe an excellent and informative topic on tree nails which is just what the starter of the next topic is going to post about.

2) Posted in a different forum it will of course fail to identify the original topic at all.

3) Someone starts a topic about ancient ship building and after two or three posts someone asks what they used to pin sections together. Tree nails comes back as the answer followed by an excellent but off topic treatise on how to make them. Once again it goes unrecognised.

I do however still see the worth of the mod in that it may well draw users attention to the need to look first before posting and will catch some duplicates.

Jim

Edit
Correction - The mod does in fact search all the post content within the forum for wording like the intended new title.
I like it and think it will be a real bonus added to my sons site. I will also leave it on my own.

Thanks Thoul
Register or Login to Post    Index » MOD Requests  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 2 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group