phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Need IMMEDIATE help! D:

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Acaria
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:09 am 
Post subject: Need IMMEDIATE help! D:

I need help. My forum was hacked and now all accounts have been banned, all forums locked, and so on and so forth.

I need help figuring out how to get it back.

Luckily they didn't have the FTP login info, so I can still get into that.

Is there any way I can get my forum back?

Methods of having to hack the site should only be posted if there's absolutely no alternative. I must get this forum back.

As well, I need to find the info on who did this.

Is there a way for me to find the IP address of whomever did this? My neighbor's an investigator, and they have a Computer Crimes division. I'll have him send it to them so I can find this asshole and sue him/her. D<
Dog Cow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:27 am 
Post subject: Re: Need IMMEDIATE help! D:

You or your web host should have access to Apache http logs. These logs will show the IP address, time, and page accessed of every hit to your web site.
Acaria
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:41 am 

Okay, I'll see if I can find them. :3
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:00 am 

Hi, please do not use BBCode to format your entire post, use it only for emphasis. Thanks.
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:55 am 

There's no rule that says I can't, but okay. :3

And I was unable to find the Apache http logs. D:
espicom
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:54 am 

Your request is really very ambiguous. Hacked how? Were you running a very old version of phpBB2? Was it a MOD that was attacked? Another program, perhaps? Windows host or Linux host? Straight FTP access, or through some sort of control console?

If you have a recent backup (pre-attack), you can certainly get the forum back up and running. But, without knowing how they got control of your system, or at least what part of your system they took over, you're setting yourself up to be screwed again. You really can't know how long ago the attack started; it could be that something was compromised months ago, and the script kiddies created administrative accounts that have sat dormant until they felt like taking your system down... Although script kiddies rarely have that kind of patience. If they did, however, your backups might include those accounts, so they can just do it all again at their leisure.

You've listed the major MODs you installed in another topic, perhaps you should copy that list to this topic, and add to it your phpBB version, and any other software installed on the site.

Oh, and yes, finding the web server logs is important!
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:30 pm 

espicom wrote:
Oh, and yes, finding the web server logs is important!

How to find them? Where are they? icon_confused.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Acaria
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:25 pm 

[epicom]

We figured it out. Apparently one of the other Admin was foolish enough to believe a user when he said "Give me your password and I'll fix the earns with ADR".

So he did, and he destroyed the site. >.>

Luckily, though, the Admin who gave his password was not the lead Admin, the one with Founder status, so the person was only able to ban all but him.

So once he logged back on he was able to fix it all.

We've since fired the other Admin, as we just can't take risks with him anymore. D:
espicom
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:15 am 

Where to find the server logs depends upon the server you're running on (Linux vs. Windows vs. BSD vs. OS/X vs. ???), whether or not your hosting package is set up to save them in an area you can access, and a few other factors. Our servers put them in /var/log/httpd, but only a user with root privileges can read them. That's fine with us.

But some hosting packages will copy them periodically to an area you can download them from.
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group