phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

What does it mean when an SQL value is in red?

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:50 pm 
Post subject: What does it mean when an SQL value is in red?

I have this in phpbb_privmsgs table:
Image link
"Overhead" value is in red. I don't know if this is an error or what it is. icon_confused.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Dog Cow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:01 am 
Post subject: Re: What does it mean when an SQL value is in red?

That means that phpMyAdmin thinks that you should click "Optimize table"
Chapter 24
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:54 am 

I just checked my database to see if I had any values in red like this. I didn't, but I did find some possibly high overhead numbers.

Should you only optimize the table if the value turns red? Is it normal/okay to have an overhead value of say, 3 or 5MB?

I read one article saying you should use "repair table" and others saying "optimize table" ...what is the difference?

One article said that it was normal to have overhead and that it is just empty space from deleted data that will fill up eventually and be used again and you can leave it alone. Another article said you should repair/optimize from time to time to keep it in check.

Any advice? Leave it alone or optimize/repair?
espicom
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:14 am 

When you optimize your tables depends upon many, many factors. If you have a lot of deletions in the table, there is free space scattered around the file that will, eventually, be reclaimed (that's the "overhead"). The table size won't shrink to match the actual amount of data until/unless you optimize.... which works by locking the table (taking the board off-line), copying it to another file (leaving behind the deleted stuff), and then rebuilding the index.

That last feature is usually the most helpful thing - indexes get screwed up for a variety of reasons, and optimizing or repairing the table is the way to fix things.

Now, that locking the table thing... I have tables that take HOURS to rebuild. So they don't get rebuilt very often. The sites they feed are "dead" until the rebuild completes... Sometimes, that's acceptable (overnight Saturday/Sunday), sometimes it isn't (mid-day on a business day).

For a message board of typical size, hey, it's only a minute or three, so do it once in a while. I even wrote a script that can be used to do it... it's in the Fixing MySQL 1016/1030/1034 errors message under the Knowledge Base here.
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:20 pm 

Dog Cow wrote:
That means that phpMyAdmin thinks that you should click "Optimize table"

I didn't know this. Thanks! icon_wink.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group