phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Recommended log IP upon registration MOD...?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:51 am 
Post subject: Re: Recommended log IP upon registration MOD...?

well, the thing is that knowing the IP someone registered with or the IPs that they posted with, has very little benefit.

first, you can't tell anything about someone from an IP address other than who their ISP is and what city they live in.

second, like was mentioned above, the real trouble makers are smart enough to be using proxies so knowing the IP is worthless.

third, if you are on dialuup, you get a new IP everytime you log on.
if you are on broadband, you get a new one every time you reboot your modem.
if you are an AOL customer, you get new IPs at random while surfing.

I just don't see any benefit to knowing anything about IPs at all.

robert
Chapter 24
Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:57 am 

It could help me more easily know if it is a current member (and which one it is) who has made a new account using another person's real name (long story). That is the most recent thing that happened that made me wish I had it installed. I've had a few other things happen that it may have helped with in the past too. Sometimes you get people just fooling around who aren't so serious and malicious that they are going to be hiding or changing their IP or even knowing anything about that stuff, that this MOD could help me figure out what is going on and who is behind it.

I don't like to install anything I don't need either and only have four or five MODS installed. I just know that this is about the third time I have wished I had that MOD.
Ram
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:56 am 

Jim_UK wrote:
Ram wrote:
I use it as comparison point if ever I have a trouble with a specific member. For example in case of stolen account.

You have had accounts stolen! I have never experienced that with any of the sites I have been involved with.

It was an example like you wanted. I have never had this problem.
Chapter 24
Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:24 pm 

PS Thank you for the recommendations, Ram and Roadhog. That's the one I was thinking of trying in the past.
roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:31 pm 

Robert wrote:
first, you can't tell anything about someone from an IP address other than who their ISP is and what city they live in.

That's exactly why anyone would install such a MOD. Actually, you left out the most important bit of information that can be acquired from that IP address - the country. I don't give a hoot about the exact IP address, but knowing the city, (and more importantly, the country), provides a lot of benefit, when you recognize that at least 90% of spambot registrations appear to originate in a handful of countries, (none of which ever provide any valid member registrations for my particular board).

As I mentioned before, logging the registration IP address is totally pointless, as long as the RAC mod is installed, but before I had the RAC MOD, having the registration IP address made it very easy to cull out the spambot registrations. Life would have been tough without it, back in those days.

Wayne
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:46 pm 

You mean that you could not tell that they were spam bots by what they were posting?

If you want to block registrations by "users" from certain countries then why not just add the IP range to the banlist. Why let them register followed by trace the IP followed by ban/delete them if they have not even posted.
Believe it or not there are genuine users from the old Eastern Block countries, China and India and these days a lot of spam comes from the USA.

I have yet to see any justification for the Log IP on registration.

Jim
roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:29 pm 

No, I couldn't tell by their posts, because I never let them post, (admin activation works). icon_biggrin.gif

Jim wrote:
If you want to block registrations by "users" from certain countries then why not just add the IP range to the banlist.

Because there might be some legitimate prospective members in those countries, and I wouldn't want to deny them access to a support board, if they are seeking support. If they register, though, and they are legitimate, they will not choose the first time zone offered in the list.

Incidentally, call me lucky, but I have never had a spambot registration from the USA, the UK, Canada, Australia, etc., where virtually all of my legitimate registrations come from. Now that I use the RAC MOD, activation is automatic, and I get zero registrations from the countries you named, (other than the USA, of course).

Jim wrote:
I have yet to see any justification for the Log IP on registration.

You imply that every MOD has to be justified. I disagree. I like to see what part of the world my members are coming from, and I see no reason why everything on a discussion board, (or anywhere else, for that matter), has to be justified. Most of the bells and whistles on my board are unjustified, but so far, none of my members have complained.
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:56 am 

roadhog wrote:
No, I couldn't tell by their posts, because I never let them post, (admin activation works). icon_biggrin.gif

Because there might be some legitimate prospective members in those countries, and I wouldn't want to deny them access to a support board, if they are seeking support.

Ok I can see that I am not making my point clearly enough so this is last attempt.

You never let them post but you can tell they are spammers and at the same time you do not block ranges as some may be legitimate users from those countries.

This smacks of X Files psychic abilities icon_lol.gif

Contrary to what it may seem to some I am not anti adding mods - I have in fact very many on my own site (enough to take the tables from 30 to near 100) but on reflection many were added for no better reason than I enjoy adding mods. It is from this experience that I would urge others to think very seriously before they add a mod that is in essence quite useless. (bar the pleasure in adding it of course)

Jim
Red Dog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:17 pm 

Dog Cow wrote:
Oh, come on-- even phpBB 3 has that feature. If the phpBB Group thought it worthy enough to add to phpBB 3, surely it must be worthy enough to add on our own to phpBB 2.

Do you really consider all the phpBB3 functions useful? icon_smile.gif Don't get me started on this...
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 2 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group