phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

moving forum hosting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Chapter 24
Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:06 pm 
Post subject: Re: moving forum hosting

rapidyellow wrote:

Now, users of my "old" forum will no doubt have set it to their favourites, currently that forum is set as "disabled" from the configuration page, apart from a link on the main site that the forum is to do with, how do I let them all know the address has changed?

A "mass" PM/Email? to members?

What I did is to hide all of the forums and create a new category/forum entitled "We Have Moved" or something like that and for the description you can say "please visit us at our new location" and include the new URL. You can also post a clickable link to the new location in a locked topic inside that forum.

I left it like that for several months (also made it so no new members could sign up there by putting an asterisk * in the "disallow names" field in the configuration section.

If you are sure you won't be needing that old forum again, you could also simply delete all of the forum sections along with the memberlist (except for yourself, of course icon_wink.gif ), so that the only thing left there is the locked "we have moved" forum which will redirect everyone to the new location.

The RAC MOD is great. It's all you will need to stop spam bots. It allows you to set up your registration form with a question that is easy for a human to answer, but the bots can't get past it.
rapidyellow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:33 pm 

noted icon_smile.gif had enough for this weekend so will do some more on monday
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:48 pm 

Tell me where to find the RAC Mod.. many thanks to everyone for assistance so far.
Nik icon_biggrin.gif

Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:00 pm 

RAC MOD here:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=552845
Red Dog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:20 pm 

Chapter 24 wrote:
RAC MOD here:

What's the difference between this and The Humanizer? icon_confused.gif
itconstruct
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:28 am 

Red Dog wrote:
Chapter 24 wrote:
RAC MOD here:

The Humanizer aska a question within the registration page that the user can answer straight away. the one from the phpBB website implements a key that is inserted in the description of the first forum and then asks you to place this key into the appropriate field on the registration page.
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:02 am 

itconstruct wrote:
Red Dog wrote:
Chapter 24 wrote:
RAC MOD here:

The Humanizer aska a question within the registration page that the user can answer straight away. the one from the phpBB website implements a key that is inserted in the description of the first forum and then asks you to place this key into the appropriate field on the registration page.

actually the RAC MOD simply allows you to create a "key" that is required to be entered into a new box on the registration form.

you can make that "key" the answer to a question, or tell them to look on a certain page for it, or just put it right there on the registration page.

the object of the whole thing is that the spammer bots never see the registration page, so they will not know that there is a new required field to be filled out and the registration will fail at that point.

robert
rapidyellow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:27 pm 

Right , Had a system fail on my hosting service, so have had to reinstall

well I would if I could, I cant quite remember what to do with bigdump.php

I have a backup of my database, uploaded it via ftp to a dump folder, with big dump.php in, attempted to run it and am getting the following message:

MySQL: Access denied for user 'buxtonr1_forum'@'localhost' to database 'buxtonra_buxtonforum'

buxtonra was the old host name, and buxtonr1 is the new, but its tripping up over, its possibly very simple but I am stuck - can anyone point me in the right direction to restore my data?

many thanks

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:32 pm 

rapidyellow wrote:
MySQL: Access denied for user 'buxtonr1_forum'@'localhost' to database 'buxtonra_buxtonforum'

This user does not have access to your databases.

You need to be using the MYSQL user account with full access to this database when using bigdump.

This error states you do not have enough permissions to complete this action.

If you still are having issues please let us know.
rapidyellow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:52 am 

I set the new database up with full permissions

Do I run the bigdump before I try to install the forum in any way?

as an aside, just before the hosting failed I made a back up of all my forum files which had mods installed, as well as the sql database, can I reuse all those files to save me reinstalling mods again?

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:15 am 

rapidyellow wrote:
I set the new database up with full permissions

Do I run the bigdump before I try to install the forum in any way?

as an aside, just before the hosting failed I made a back up of all my forum files which had mods installed, as well as the sql database, can I reuse all those files to save me reinstalling mods again?

Sorry Let's make this clearer!

To upload your database via bigdump you must edit the bigdump.php file with Notepad++ or your favourite editor (NOT NOTEPAD) and specify the database name that this database will be uploaded to and the user and password to complete this command.

If you need more help trying to get this working let us know.
rapidyellow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:04 am 

I have put the details into bigdump that the database is called buxtonr1_forumdb as follows

$db_server = 'localhost';
$db_name = 'buxtonr1_forumdb';
$db_username = 'buxtonr1_forum';
$db_password = '*******';

and am getting the error [in big dump]

Error at the line 21: CREATE DATABASE `buxtonra_buxtonforum` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;

Query: --
--
CREATE DATABASE `buxtonra_buxtonforum` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;

any ideas? sorry if I am a pain, I just dont know very much, I managed it first time round at the start of this topic but just seem to be struggling with the basics again icon_sad.gif

Nik

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:14 am 

rapidyellow wrote:
I have put the details into bigdump that the database is called buxtonr1_forumdb as follows

$db_server = 'localhost';
$db_name = 'buxtonr1_forumdb';
$db_username = 'buxtonr1_forum';
$db_password = '*******';

and am getting the error [in big dump]

Error at the line 21: CREATE DATABASE `buxtonra_buxtonforum` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;

Query: --
--
CREATE DATABASE `buxtonra_buxtonforum` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;

any ideas? sorry if I am a pain, I just dont know very much, I managed it first time round at the start of this topic but just seem to be struggling with the basics again icon_sad.gif

Nik

Change this line : CREATE DATABASE `buxtonra_buxtonforum` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;

to this one :

CREATE DATABASE `buxtonr1_forumdb` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;

Please try that and let us know how you go!
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:44 am 

If the database already exists then remove the section from the sql file that is the command to create.
Often systems will barf at the "create" command.
If the empty database does not exist then use your cpanel tool to create the empty (no tables) database and then run the sql file minus that bit for the create.

That error is quite common when the sql file calls for "creation" of a database.

Trust me.

Jim
rapidyellow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:54 am 

itconstruct wrote:

Change this line : CREATE DATABASE `buxtonra_buxtonforum` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;

to this one :

CREATE DATABASE `buxtonr1_forumdb` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;

Please try that and let us know how you go!

I cant change that as its an error message, and not text in the file bigdump.php

Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group