phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

What is the point in phpBB2?
1 members found this topic helpful
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Dan
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:07 am 
Post subject: What is the point in phpBB2?

Hi, Well I am new here and this is my first topic icon_smile.gif

Right as the title says 'What is the point?' I don't at all mean this in a negative way because I currently have a phpBB3 forum, but before my
current one I had a phpBB2 forum, but long ago, and well it was and I'm sure still is an awesome piece of software, and I was just wondering why
have you gone back to BB2?

Like why? What do you like about it? Personally I think BB3 is better but BB2 has some good points to, so just wondering why everyone on here likes it and still wants to carry on supporting it.

Thanks, Dan.
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:58 pm 
Post subject: Re: What is the point in phpBB2?

Hi Dan

It is not so much "going back" as not having gone forward.
Many of us intend to stay with phpBB2 as we have devoted so much time in making our sites what they are today.
I could not upgrade mine to phpBB3 without losing a lot of the functionality that my users have become accustomed to.
OK - so mods may well come along that will replace that functionality but what would I gain by making the move compared to what I would lose in time that I can ill afford?
The Admin interface on phpBB2 is far easier to get to grips with than that of version 3.

Maybe if I did not have a heavily modded site I may make the change but as it is I must stay.
When I was on the phpbb.com team I converted my board at every version of phpBB3 from the very first up to the next to last just to test that the upgrade would work with mine. I know it works, I know the upgrade is easy having done it so many times but the loss of functions is not acceptable and time is precious when you get to my age. icon_lol.gif

Jim
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:32 pm 

To me,.. is more like not "going backwards" to a less versatile and more complicated version of phpbb.

I didn't like the Tabbed ACP and frankly I didn't like the attitude of some of the people at phpbb.com when you try to explain to them why they were moving in the wrong direction with the software.

If they want to loose the spirit of phpbb... then they will be doing it by themselves. I won't be a part of that.

The simplicity of phpbb2 is its main draw. It is what the original authors of phpbb were striving for in its original development. Phpbb3 has abandoned this for IMO "personal glory" and I just don't see why we need to follow them down that path to impending doom.

Merri
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:21 am 

phpBB2 is the most able forum to grow with your site, it does not start too big giving you more space for customization, and it is simple enough to be entirely your own from the get go. Also, thanks to the years of experience I can work with it much faster than with other forums.
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:59 am 

It is a "staystable" move.
Personally I have spent SO much time and money in my site, I have modded it completely. It is not possible to upgrade to phpBB3 in a easy way.

Also, I am NOT happy with the phpBB3 ACP! I cannot get used to it at all!
stevemagruder
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:40 pm 

If I had the time, this would be a "let me count the ways" laundry list.

Of course, my main reason for sticking with phpbb2 is the same as many others: I have so heavily modded my board that it is really not worth the time or effort to convert to phpBB3. And that is supposing that I would even want to, which I don't.

I have various negative opinions about phpBB3, as well as a few positive ones.

phpBB3 offers various visual (e.g., pagination) and code cleanup (CSS and Divs) aspects that I admire and may emulate at some point.

On the other hand, I despise other visual and code aspects. I may go into those troubling areas in another post at some point.

The bottom line for me is that my board is essentially a fork of phpBB2 at this point, and it would be far more advantageous for me to keep enhancing my fork than changing over to what would essentially be another group of developers' vision of how a discussion board should work, even though I don't feel comfortable with their design direction or enhancements they chose to focus on.

Jimmer
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:40 am 

I cannot get all the features that I need in phpbb3, I am usisng mx_publisher who's phpbb3 has not even come out of beta yet.
scotty
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:04 pm 

I am like the rest of you guys over here.
God knows how many times I have up graded to phpbb3- and then went back to my wee phpbb2........
I have had a lot of help from Lumpy and he added a new feature to my forum A Members Presentation & Portfolio you can check my profile out
http://www.addictivehobby.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2
There is so much one can do with phpbb2- but you certainly have to have the php knowledge.
Nope ! I will stick with phpbb2- so much easier to use and to customise, plus its kinda part of the family now- and so much harder to kick out of the house !!!
icon_wink.gif

Camp Leader
Camp Leader

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:09 pm 

Scotty, I edited your post, as you had included the "sid" as part of the URL, and for user_id #2 to boot. icon_smile.gif I realize that particular session has long since expired, but please - to all users - if you post links to your boards, remove the "sid" portion of the link. Thanks.
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:28 am 

I'm with most of you here in that my forum is now modified beyond recognition as a vanilla phpbb2 board. I spent a lot of time and effort getting it to function the way it does and there's no way it would still work if 'upgraded' to phpbb3.

Through all the mods I carried out to the appearance and functionality of the board I've also become quite intimate with the structure of the files and how they work together. I tried playing with some phpbb3 installations but it's like learning a whole new language.

I'd also like to echo the sentiment that the ACP of phpbb3 is insanely complicated - I never did really get to grips with the elaborate user / group / forum permissions set-up that one is presented with on that version.

And finally, I'm kind of peeved that the phpbb developers have just abandoned everything relating to phpbb2 like it is a worthless relic, essentially forcing users to upgrade or go it alone. That's why I'm so pleased to have stumbled across this site and find a bunch of other people who are sticking with this excellent and user-friendly piece of software.
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:07 pm 

Mr. Craven wrote:
And finally, I'm kind of peeved that the phpbb developers have just abandoned everything relating to phpbb2 like it is a worthless relic, essentially forcing users to upgrade or go it alone.

The answer of course is that to find the time to develop properly phpBB3 something had to give and of course it had to be phpBB2. The same happened with phpBB1 some years ago.
Like most on here I have stayed with phpBB2 because of all the extras that I have added to my board but also because of the simplicity of administration.
For me the BB is secondary to the hobby that it supports whilst maybe some just like the idea of administering a board.
We have seen folks decide to start a BB and then post asking for suggestions as to what it could be used for. Many have a right mixed bag of subjects for their fora. To them maybe the admin complexity of version 3 sort of "grabs them" as the BB is the primary and subject secondary.
For me as stated the hobby of model aircraft is the primary and the board is secondary and serves the primary. With that in mind version 2 will do all I need and more besides.

Jim
Murmur
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:58 pm 

It's a reasonable question. If one is looking to create a cutting edge, fully modern, forum-only site from an off-the-shelf and ready-to-run distribution, then phpBB3 is great software.

phpBB2 is stable, complete, unchanging and thoroughly field tested. It is therefore the perfect base to build upon and customize without worrying that the developers will change some critical underlying feature/function/table. Its code-base is relatively small and straight-forward. It can be "adopted" in toto for a development fork.

But phpBB3 will change regularly to new versions. Some of these changes will be necessary security updates that may well splash a custom site. Others will add features you don't want or have already implemented as a mod (nullifying the work you put into it).

I started my own project after looking at MANY forum board systems. Finally decided on phpBB3. After about three weeks I dropped "down" to phpBB2 because phpBB3 :

1) is too big
2) is too restrictive
3) will change the ground under my feet (ie change the code base regularly)

IMO, phpBB2 is THE modders'/developers' board to work with.
Quuipo
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:03 am 

Same here. I'm so glad I found you guys icon_smile.gif This feels like how phpbb.com used to feel icon_smile.gif The vibe is nice icon_smile.gif

I started out with phpbb board, modded it also to my taste, and if I would go to phpbb 3 i would lose so many features my members have come to love. And they aren't easily replaced.

also I don' t like the bulkyness of phpbb 3. There are so much things going on! Especially if you are a new user of a board you don't know where to go in your "user profile"

I wonder what phpbb 4 will bring - until then, I'm hanging with my trusty 2.0 icon_smile.gif

And I'm so happy you are here, because now if I need a mod or have Questions about something, I still have a place to ask icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif
Dan
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:06 pm 

Just a though about phpBB4, when it's made, will Refugees go over to BB3 if you get what I mean? icon_wink.gif

I would go back to BB2 but I worked so hard on my current BB3 I don't want to icon_biggrin.gif
Murmur
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:39 am 

Smart Ass. icon_biggrin.gif

The point is well taken. But I think - at least from one angle - the continuing interest in phpBB2 is its code base. Classic. Simple. Extensible.
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group