phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

How to REALLY block a user?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:56 pm 
Post subject: How to REALLY block a user?

Hi, guys! Back again. icon_cool.gif

In our days, almost everyone have dynamic IP's. Okay, so you block a whole range, and you block half a city, but still the user comes back with proxy. What to do?
1.I've heard about banning MAC. MAC being the serial of the network card. But IT it's possible, how do you do it? How do you find out the MAC, and how do you block it?
2.Someone was saying, on this board, that he is sending cookies to users and then block someone's computer through those cookies. Could this work? Doesn't anyone use Crap Cleaner? And if it could be efficient, how it can be done?

I am waiting for suggestions.
Thanks! icon_wink.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Slackervaara
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:11 am 
Post subject: Re: How to REALLY block a user?

I don't use banning for trolls but instead the Approve_MOD with which an individual user can easily by a click on a link (Moderate this user) in that members post by a moderator be moderated. The text in the trolls posts will not be visible until the moderator, who are the only ones that can read the text, has approved the post.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=76852
Acaria
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:04 am 

I wouldn't want something like that on a site, Slackervaara. Someone could easily rampage threads by clicking that button for every post they see. D:
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:32 am 

No, no, no. It's no good. What I want is to really block a user from coming back and back again. It's disturbing my users, they tell me to block him but I can't do anything about it. He is talking trash especially about the ladies. icon_sad.gif I want to get rid of this... ! icon_evil.gif

Slackervaara
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:35 am 

It is only the moderators that can activate moderation for a single user. I have used this MOD now for two months and I have not had such problems as you describes.
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:18 pm 

Have you thought about the Troll Mod.
Once you recognise the username he is using you add that to the troll list. The mod puts a cookie onto his computer and he will experience all sorts of problems on your site. He will not be able to post although think he has. He will not be able to PM although they will seem to have been sent. He will experience lots of problems logging on and even more using the site functions. If he thinks he has a problem with his machine and reboots even if he gets a new IP the cookie is still there.
If he comes back with a new username it is to no avail as he is recognised by the cookie. If he tries from another machine his username is recognised and that machine gets the cookie as well.

Jim

Troll_Mod.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Troll_Mod.zip
 Filesize:  9.76 KB
 Downloaded:  575 Time(s)

AsciiSector
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:22 pm 

I had a user that decided to seriously troll my board. I banned him, but he kept coming back with proxied IP addresses. In the end I just decided to delete all his messages as soon as they appeared and not reply to any PMs or emails, and finally disabled guest posting and new user registration for a few days. He must have grown tired of trolling, as I haven't heard from him in a couple of months now.

I mostly think it's just a matter of ignoring them and deleting their posts ASAP. They usually grow tired of the trolling if they don't get any attention.
Slackervaara
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:28 pm 

One way is also to turn the troll member to an inactive member, because then he can't access the forum, PM and memberlist. You can turn member inactive through ACP or phpMyAdmin.

When I had a troll member I first thought of banning his IP-address through .htaccess and through .htaccess (ErrorDocument 403) also provide with an error message that stated that the site was permanently closed due to trolling. This is very easy to fix. The troll will then hopefully not try to change IP and reregister because the site is closed.
Mrs Moo Moo
Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:08 pm 

Unfortunately you can't really get the MAC address of a computer, and if someone has a dynamic IP and they keep creating new accounts, then you pretty much have to put up with it.

The Troll MOD works though, because those users will think the site is just slow, nothing to do with blocking their account. icon_wink.gif
Murmur
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:33 am 

This is one of those problems with no perfect solution and no solution at all for the determined, sophisticated and patient troll.

For relatively unsophisticated users you could drop a cookie to be checked when troll tries to re-register.

The only way (I know of...) to obtain the MAC is through Java, but this would require a Java-permitting browser at registration time.
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:51 am 

Jim_UK wrote:
Have you thought about the Troll Mod.
Once you recognise the username he is using you add that to the troll list. The mod puts a cookie onto his computer and he will experience all sorts of problems on your site. He will not be able to post although think he has. He will not be able to PM although they will seem to have been sent. He will experience lots of problems logging on and even more using the site functions. If he thinks he has a problem with his machine and reboots even if he gets a new IP the cookie is still there.
If he comes back with a new username it is to no avail as he is recognised by the cookie. If he tries from another machine his username is recognised and that machine gets the cookie as well.

Jim

This seems to be a strange MOD. For 50% of the time, it messes with the user, but for the other 50% of the time it lets him do anything he want. I don't understand why can he just see the banned message, cookie based. icon_confused.gif
For the momment, the user is acting a lot better, since I talked to him on Y!M. But I'm sure, sooner or later I will need this again. If I can't find another solution, I'll try this MOD, even if it's seems a bit hard to install. I could probably try to change it on the way...

Thanks, Jim! icon_wink.gif

AsciiSector
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:29 am 

The purpose of the Troll Mod is to give the troll the impression that the site is slow and not working properly, which will hopefully cause him to not waste time trying to post his trolling messages. If he knows that he's been banned, he will just sign up with another account. With the Troll Mod, he doesn't know that he's been tagged as a troll.
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:37 am 

Yes. But if it's cookie based banned, a new account won't help. icon_smile.gif

AsciiSector
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:03 am 

Yes. My point is that with the Troll Mod, the user doesn't even know that he's been tagged as a troll, so he won't know that he can just delete his cookies. If he's just banned, he knows this and will be able to circumvent the ban. That's the entire point of the Troll Mod.
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:37 am 

But even if he removes his cookies the next time heŽll log in he'll receive a new troll cookie because while his account is flagged as Troll by the Admin new cookies will be written immediately upon login.

The only thing a troll will win when he cleans his cookies is that he wonŽt have a problem while navigating the board as a guest, as soon as he logs in problems will start again.

If he doesnŽt clean cookies and creates a new user account that new account will be treated as a troll too, because of the cookie of the other account.

Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group