phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

I'm Moving my Forum - Step By Step -

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:05 pm 
Post subject: I'm Moving my Forum - Step By Step -

OK, so I signed up with Bluehost and thought I would move my site myself, (others have done it for me in the past) -

1) - I accessed my Cpanel on my old host, clicked on back-ups, and then one at a time, I download my 3 databases to a fresh folder on my desktop -

2) - then I opened up my ftp client and started to download to local the public_html folder and it's contents, (do I need anything else, or just that folder and it's contents)?

3) - Figuring that will take all day, I went to the new cpanel and clicked on My SQL databases - I created a new database, then username, then associated them with one another - I did that 3 times, one for each of my 3 databases -

4) - I accessed the new Cpanel, clicked on phpMyAdmin, and there were my 3 databases, (with nothing in them) - I click on the first one, then at the top clicked on Import, navigated my local to the downloaded databases, and tried to import the 1st one - the progress bar seemed to get stuck at 100%, and the eventually I would get an error Error

SQL query:

/*!40000 ALTER TABLE `phpbb_ip_tracking` DISABLE KEYS */;

MySQL said:

#2006 - MySQL server has gone away

I have tried several times with all 3 databases and I have tried with and without the Partial Import box checked -

I am stuck - any ideas?,

(and do I ftp down anything other than the public_html file)?

Thanks

New Guy
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:20 am 
Post subject: Re: I'm Moving my Forum - Step By Step -

Use mysqldumper to make backups and restore the DBs instead.
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:05 pm 

Holger wrote:
Use mysqldumper to make backups and restore the DBs instead.

Thanks, I will try that - icon_biggrin.gif
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:12 pm 

New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:51 pm 

Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:22 pm 

Ehm, did it work?
New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:00 am 

Holger wrote:
Ehm, did it work?

If you look at the time of this post, I just finished uploading my 3gig public_html folder to the new server-

My 3 databases are already moved, now what?

New Guy icon_smile.gif
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:09 am 

Then it should be working provided the file config.php contains the correct connection details for the database.
In some cases the database name may have been prefixed by the username.

IE
If your username is newguy and the database name is dbname then the connection name in config.php would be newguy_dbname and the password would be newguy_password.
It depends on the way the accounts are set up so if it is not already working then try the above (assuming the database name in config.php matches that of your new database)

Hope that makes sense.

Jim

New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:48 pm 

I will check it out and see if the temp url is working -

Missing new posts - since this move has taken me a week, I will be missing alot of new posts - can someone please tell me where all the new posts are stored, (so I can upload a fresh file right before I go live on the new server) - ? - thanks

New Guy
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:21 pm 

Hm, I might be missing something here.
Why dont you make a fresh backup of the DBs with mysqldumper now and restore it on the new place (also with mysqldumper)?
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:58 pm 

New Guy wrote:
Missing new posts - since this move has taken me a week, I will be missing alot of new posts - can someone please tell me where all the new posts are stored, (so I can upload a fresh file right before I go live on the new server) - ? - thanks

Sadly this clearly shows that you do not understand the workings of the site.
The new posts are not there in some file but are in the database with all the previous posts and much much more.
As per the previous post you will now need to make a fresh backup and restore that to the new database.
Can I make a suggestion?
Here it is - Close the site and make the backup. Do not open the site until you have the backup restored to the new database and have your site working in the new location.
If you do not do this then you will get more new posts in the old location and have a repeat of this.

Jim

New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:16 pm 

Jim_UK wrote:
Sadly this clearly shows that you do not understand the workings of the site. Jim

I'm not sure why you would say that, (to make me feel bad?) -

The very first sentence in the thread clearly states that I don't know how to do this and have never done it before -

New Guy wrote:
OK, so I signed up with Bluehost and thought I would move my site myself, (others have done it for me in the past) -

That said, it does not take very long to download/upload a fresh database, so there's no need to shut down the site - if I upload a fresh database at midnight, and then change the name servers, all should be well in the morning with zero or just a few post missing - (it was the 2gigs of video stored + the public_html file that gave me all the grief uploading, but I followed your advice, going file by file w/filezilla, and made sure everything is there, (i think) -

Jim, would it be possible for you to assist me via e-mail? (my current problem is that when I go to the temp url to check out the site, just the intro page is there "Welcome to anhgutyhm.com" and when I click on it I get redirected to my live site, (so I can't check out the new site) -

Say "Yes" if you'll help me by e-mail, and I'll send you some links - thanks - New Guy - icon_biggrin.gif
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:19 pm 

You do not have anything else to do then move a fresh set of DBs to the new site. Change the name servers and see what happens. Then you can debug.

The movies and pics are the least important right now.
You need the forum-corefiles. Everything else you can move later.
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:44 pm 

New Guy wrote:
(my current problem is that when I go to the temp url to check out the site, just the intro page is there "Welcome to anhgutyhm.com" and when I click on it I get redirected to my live site, (so I can't check out the new site)

That is because your redirect is to your domain which has not changed it's location.
Move the files/restore database and then go to your domain hosting panel and point your domain at the new servers.
If it is a different domain name then go to your database via cpanel and access your database via phpmyadmin. Go to the table phpbb_config and then select "Browse"
Find the field "server name" and edit it to your new domain name. Note there is no http:// in the domain name.

All should then be working.
It is important to close your site in the old location or you will constantly have new posts to contend with or to ignore.

Jim

New Guy
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:15 pm 

Holger wrote:

The movies and pics are the least important right now.
You need the forum-corefiles. Everything else you can move later.

They are within the public_html file and I really don't see a need to pay the old host for another month so I just wanted to move all of my data to the new host, and be done with the old -

Jim_UK wrote:

It is important to close your site in the old location or you will constantly have new posts to contend with or to ignore.

I will -

I will display a page that instructs people to get rid of old bookmarks/refresh everything -

Thanks for your help guys, hopefully things will be sorted by tomorrow morning - New Guy -

icon_biggrin.gif
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group