phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Take me under your wing...

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Kurusaki
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:50 pm 
Post subject: Take me under your wing...

Hey everyone, hope you're all well.

I'm asking to anyone of the knowledgeable members of this community in phpBB and php/sql, would anyone be willing to take me as an understudy? My reasoning is, most people with decent knowledge are too busy, and if someone was able to teach me to a medium level, then I could also teach others and at the same time work on dis fuctioning mods like nulavatar.

What I'm proposing is sort of like weekly emails from whomever telling me what to do and what to learn. I mean it's easy enough to learn php, but when putting that in to practise in phpBB I'm somewhat lost. What I'm looking is for someone to put me at a starting point in terms of the code for phpBB, say in a modification like nulavatar, and get me to a point where I understand the basic jist of each line of code and how it works with phpBB. And then that lead on to the fundamental coding on phpBB, and say hopefully after a while I'd be able to see how to create my own modifications.

Obviously its a big ask for anyone, and I'm not desperate, but if anyone is willing then know that I won't disappoint. The way you teach me is upto you. It's not paid or anything, but you could use the experience to create much saught after classes in programming or something. I'm asking to learn about the code, as I'm sure with good guidance I can easily master it and spend time working on some seriously cool mods.

Thanks.
Merri
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:57 am 
Post subject: Re: Take me under your wing...

When it comes to modding phpBB2, you're quite late. At this point of the lifetime, end of support, it doesn't make much sense to learn a system that for the most part is dying off. There won't be many new users, only those who are still using the software and the number is going down by the day. Of course I don't have any statistics, but finding the software is hard enough these days. Most users just want to keep their existing board living and get the minimum upgrades to security.

I do have an option though. We are starting a new project, forking phpBB2 for something new. This gives possibilities for reading code, seeing discussion on changes and them being done, and even for writing something. I've helped a lot of people over the years on forums so I probably can give a lot of pointers, tell where you go wrong, give info on which things are a matter of opinion etc. – although the fact is that if you don't have a lot of programming experience. Time does a lot, it takes roughly ten years to really get into and understand programming. And lots of understanding to question when you are wrong about something, assuming too much too early leads to issues.

Also, if you won't get into programming anything for the project, you still have a possibility for watching how a new software evolves of an existing one. In that case though I'm probably not as willing to personally help, I still want to have more focus on the project itself and give all kinds of pushes to end up with a successful software.

Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:36 am 

It would be a great pleasure to be any part of your project, especially with any pointers. I'd be more than willing to contribute in the project if I get to a stage where I'm confident on doing so. As for phpBB2 being outdated, I know that there are many bits of phpBB3 which are similar, so what I'm looking at is knowing the methods and structure of the code and what each bit does. With that learnt, I'm sure it'd be easier to have a go at phpBB3 and programming in general.

I do understand what some of the code is, and can easily look up anything to do with the programming language and what something means in either sql or php. The problem I have is not knowing what that does for the forum, why its there and how it all links up. So from a basic level.

And I'd be more than glad to learn from different members. Really I'm not expecting to learn a great deal, but I thought there's no harm in trying. If anyone's willing to give me a shot, I'll be a great understudy, hopefully.
Merri
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:45 am 

phpBB3 would of course be a far more clear shot, it is an established, popular and well supported at this point. However, in that case it would be better to try at phpBB3 forums, although I don't know what they think about threads like this. They had a set of rules I never liked that much, I can understand them but that doesn't mean I have to like them.
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:50 am 

Nah, I specifically decided to ask here as everyone's more closer due to phpBB2 being used by not many, and so there might have been a better chance of some people taking me. I also noticed that quite a lot of experienced phpBB users don't really use phpBB3 as much but we're really active in the phpBB2 days and come on here.

And I'm planning on running a phpBB2 forum in the future, as well as that I'd also like to take up a few modifications for phpBB2 and maybe port them to phpBB3. Obviously getting ahead of myself here, but I figured than in like a year that nothing happens to these mods, I could learn to program myself.

Depends though if anyone wants me as a burden icon_biggrin.gif
Merri
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:08 am 

You probably get better results simply by asking the questions on the forums. If there is a part of the code you don't understand, simply post it, tell us how you think it works and somebody probably responds if you get it wrong.

Advanced programmers rarely have any extra time, and generally favor helping, especially with good thought provoking questions, when somebody shows they are willing to see the trouble to learn themselves icon_smile.gif

Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:01 pm 

That's actually a pretty good suggestion, I'll go with that.

But the problem, I can't ask questions If I don't understand what the code does and what its for.
Any suggestions?
Like a file I could look through that'll give me a good idea on the coding structure..
Merri
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:02 pm 

Well, there are just some basics you need to understand:

• Loading basic configuration & forum core functions (common.php)
  • These handle stuff such as database connection, $board_config... all kinds of stuff that is required on almost every page that is loaded.
  • Next user session can optionally be started (often required on a forum).
  • Finally comes the actual page handling: loading stuff from database (if required), processing the data ready for display and then outputting the final page using templates.

It really isn't much more complex than that. Of course there are tons of little details that need to be taken care of, such as security, handling the flow of the code (ie. what really happens to values; kind of relates to security) and database structure.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:46 am 

I would suggest reading through the support questions and answers here and at phpbb.com.

Then, when you see something that interests you, simply go to your copies of the files and do the same things etc.

That is how I learned what little I know.

I lurked at phpbb.com for about a year before I would even ask a quesiton, much less offer an answer.

Get and keep a copy of the phpbb files on your computer.
maybe even instsall xamp or wamp so that you can run php on your computer and install phpbb there for testing purposes.

robret
Kurusaki
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:08 pm 

Merri wrote:
Well, there are just some basics you need to understand:

• Loading basic configuration & forum core functions (common.php)
  • These handle stuff such as database connection, $board_config... all kinds of stuff that is required on almost every page that is loaded.
  • Next user session can optionally be started (often required on a forum).
  • Finally comes the actual page handling: loading stuff from database (if required), processing the data ready for display and then outputting the final page using templates.

It really isn't much more complex than that. Of course there are tons of little details that need to be taken care of, such as security, handling the flow of the code (ie. what really happens to values; kind of relates to security) and database structure.

I looked into all of those, but its probably a bit to ahead to go into it without knowing what they are, so I kinda gave up. But I'm installing some mods and looking through the code and find it very interesting and still learning all the time.

@ lumpy burgertushie: Thanks for the tip, I think that could turn out to be a great piece of advice as in the past days spending time with mods has helped quite a bit.
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group