phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP... my forum disappeared!!

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
juliehill
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:10 pm 
Post subject: PLEASE PLEASE HELP... my forum disappeared!!

Ok... so this is what I wrote on the phpBB3 forum (thx to the person who PM'd me about this forum!)

We use this forum as an internal project management piece and all of a sudden we get this error:

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

The forum was set up probably like 4 years ago by someone who doesn't work w/us anymore. I have the admin passwords and stuff but don't even know how to find out what's wrong!! I'm freaking out because A LOT OF STUFF is on this forum. here is the link:

http://208.112.36.176/phpBB2/

Thanks in advance for any advice! icon_smile.gif

---------------------------

got this reply:

The connection between the forum files and the database has a problem.
Either the link, the database server or the username/password combo for it has broken.
Your users and posts are probably fine in the database (assuming it's still there).

If it's phpBB2 though we do not support that any more.

---------------------------

Ok - so we're probably not on phpBB3. no one has touched this (the admin side) since the guy who set it up worked for us. The problem is, I can't even log on! Where can I go to fix this? thx so much for your help. feel free to click on the forum link above to see what i mean icon_smile.gif
Dog Cow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:16 pm 
Post subject: Re: PLEASE PLEASE HELP... my forum disappeared!!

Is your RDBMS running? If it's MySQL, try scanning port 3306 and see if you get a response.
juliehill
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:31 pm 

um I have no idea. I am on a mac, and literally the only thing I have reference to with this forum is the URL. If you can point me to the place to log-on, I'd greatly appreciate it! No idea what mysql or scanning ports is. I am a video editor on a mac. am very techie, but not in this way... like I said. a guy set this up for us so i have no idea. when I go to the only place i know (that url) it comes up w/that error message. i just need the data at this point!
SamG
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:13 am 

Who manages the machine your phpBB is running on? If it's not a third party, is the machine on site?

Getting to the data means getting better access to the machine than you've currently got. For anyone here to be more helpful, unfortunately it'll be necessary for you to tell us more about the machine's situation.
juliehill
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:20 am 

ok i think i'm starting to understand this now. I assumed this was a web based program but maybe the guy installed it on his PC? He's the only one that ran a PC in our office. That PC died over a year ago (we were only using it for quickbooks). So is there any way to access it online?
SamG
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:25 am 

You're right, it is web-based, but a web server can be housed in house.

What we need to know is who manages the machine phpBB is running on. Who owns and/or manages the web server phpBB is running on? is probably a clearer way to put it. icon_smile.gif That person or company is key to both securing and recovering the data as well as getting phpBB back up and running.

EDIT: In other words, phpBB.com doesn't host phpBB installations, so knowing where the board is being hosted is important.

NUTHER EDIT: Does the company name LNH mean anything to you? It appears to be an ISP in Newark, Delaware. They appear to have control of the 208.112.36.176 address.

FINAL EDIT: This may be where you need to go to get additional information or help as far as the server itself is concerned:
http://www.hosting.com/datacenter/newark/
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:16 am 

I contacted Hosting.com (owners of the IP you provided us) and submitted a support request. I chatted with customer service and they told me they would get someone on this within the hour, which means right about now. Considering they did not seem surprised to hear about that IP or about a phpBB board on it, I'll assume we got the good company.

They will e-mail me when they have more info or, ideally, solved the problem. I'll post back (or edit if no one has replied) when I hear from them. Hopefully they will get back to me before I go to bed.

Edit: No reply for tonight. I'll try to check back early tomorrow.
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:56 am 

Still no reply... but I just saw that your forum is up ^^
Is everything running smoothly?
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group