phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Restoring Board

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
rexx
Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:57 pm 
Post subject: Restoring Board

Well, I didn't see this one coming!

My host's server deleted critical information from my database tables.

Shortly after that, I discovered that, for over one year, I had been backing up the wrong database.

So, using an really-old backup, my host pieced together much of the board.

But, now, I have to finish the rest.

The admin panel says: "The latest available version is phpBB 2.0.23. You are running phpBB 2.0.22."

The up-to-date data still exists, but, currently, my posts are off and so is my registered users. Similar for my categories plus sub-categories (for lack of a better word).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

- r
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:53 am 
Post subject: Re: Restoring Board

When did your host deleted parts of your database? Ask them if they do any automatic backups. If they have on to your site a day before deleting stuff, you can put that one. icon_wink.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
Dog Cow
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:05 pm 

Try changing the version in the phpbb_config table.
rexx
Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:04 pm 

1. Thanks for the suggestions, but my host's server accidentally deleted parts of my tables.

2. No. My host did not have any copies of my board and my copies...well...lets forget about them.

Suffice it to say that a lot of things did not turn out as planned.

3. So...

I'm having to cannibalize and combine parts from different copies.

Below, for instance, the phpbb2_categories and phpbb2_forums tables are earlier than the phpbb2_posts_text table. So, some of the listings, in the phpbb2_posts_text, belong to forums and categories which do not, yet, exist in the phpbb2_categories and phpbb2_forums tables.

So, I'm trying to match the most recent (I think) posts' text with the proper existing forums in order to identify missing forums.

Then I intend to re-create those missing forums and link the appropriate text to them.

That should resurrect about 50,000 posts.

Well, I'm able to link the forum with the correct category, but I'm having trouble seeing how to link the text to the correct forum.

The phpbb2_categories file has:

REPLACE INTO `phpbb2_categories` (`cat_id`, `cat_title`, `cat_order`) VALUES

...And the phpbb2_forums table has:

REPLACE INTO `phpbb2_forums` (`forum_id`, `cat_id`, `forum_name`, `forum_desc`, `forum_status`, `forum_order`, `forum_posts`, `forum_topics`, `forum_last_post_id`, `prune_next`, `prune_enable`, `auth_view`, `auth_read`, `auth_post`, `auth_reply`, `auth_edit`, `auth_delete`, `auth_sticky`, `auth_announce`, `auth_vote`, `auth_pollcreate`, `auth_attachments`) VALUES

So, since both tables share `cat_id`, then I can link the forums to the correct categories.

Yet, the phpbb2_posts_text.sql file does not seem to have anything in common with the upper two tables. For example, phpbb2_posts_text.sql says:

REPLACE INTO `phpbb2_posts_text` (`post_id`, `bbcode_uid`, `post_subject`, `post_text`) VALUES

...where `post_id`, `bbcode_uid`, `post_subject`, `post_text` are not also in phpbb2_categories nor phpbb2_forums.

Any suggestions?

- rexx
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:42 am 

Posts_text only stores the text. You're missing a step.

Each forum_id goes with its cat_id. => _forums
Each topic_id goes with its forum_id. => _topics
Each post_id goes with its topic_id and forum_id. => _posts
And each post_text has the text and post_id. => _posts_text

I would probably work from top to bottom, restoring one category at a time and checking its forums. Then restoring each of these forums, then each of their topics and related post_texts. I suppose that's quite a big job for 50,000 posts, so I wish you patience and courage.
rexx
Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:46 am 

Many thanks!

I'll let you know how it goes!

- rexx
rexx
Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:17 pm 

Something's not working.

For example, phpbb2_posts_text showed post_id 216551.

phpbb2_posts indicated that post_id 216551 was associated with forum_id 219.

phpbb2_forums showed that forum_id 219 was non-existent.

So, I created forum "Whatever" and assigned to it forum_id 219.

I also created for forum "Whatever" an associated category - which I made in phpbb2_categories.

Yet, although, both the category and "Whatever" showed up, in the message board, the associated post did not.

Am I overlooking something?

- rexx
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:57 pm 

Well, a topic(_id) would help, I presume! icon_wink.gif
rexx
Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:41 am 

What should I do when phpbb2_topics does not contain the proper topic_id (ie. The line is missing.)?

Also, in phpbb2_topics, the topic_title appears to be encrypted. Any thoughts about that?

- rexx icon_confused.gif
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:34 am 

It's pretty strange that you have the text for posts in a topic that is not saved as well (although you seem to have each table stored in a different backup, and they were not made on the same date?). I suppose it would mean you would have to recreate the topic as well, then.
As for the titles being encrypted, I have no idea - mine are stored as they appear in the forum. Maybe your files got corrupted somehow? Can you post an example of an encrypted title?
rexx
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:07 am 

Yes. Some got corrupted instead of encrypted.

On a different subject, however, how can I get my board to display Chinese plus other multinational characters?

- rexx
Acaria
Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:19 am 

You will need to install the language on your board and have the language installed on your computer for it to display.
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group