phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Need some help.

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
SENECA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:05 pm 
Post subject: Need some help.

i have a board that was put up by a computer person several years ago.it has been fine until recently.I cannot get in touch with that person any longer and would like someone to help resolve a current 'message die' problem with my site.
can anyone help?
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:19 pm 
Post subject: Re: Need some help.

What does the message say?

Do you have FTP-access to the board's files on the server?

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:24 pm 

Judging from your post, you're not used to all this, so here's a few pointers to help us help you:

When you post about an error, please include the entire error message, and what leads to the error (what page you visit, what operation you're trying to do).

If you are aware of recent changes to the code or server configuration, please include them as well, especially since in this case it seems to be about something that used to work fine.
SENECA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:11 pm 

I am new to 'working' on this site (behind the scenes), but the message was : message_die() was called multiple times. This isn't supposed to happen. Was message_die () used in page_tail.php? and I do have ftp access and privileges.

The site is www.rchelispot.com and there were no changes to the code.i have occaisionally change the index.php to a temporary index.php so people cannot see the actual error while this is being resolved.
SENECA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:44 pm 

It appears to be operating correctly at the moment.but this site has been going on and off all morning.
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:00 pm 

Has it? Then maybe it's just the server having difficulties with a particular service and when your forum makes a call to it, it gets no response. Try to contact your host or check their forum to see if they're having issues with something lately.

message_die() is called when an action cannot be performed, so I would guess your database is having difficulties.
SENECA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:04 pm 

Yes it is back up after i deleted some large files from the server.it seems i am up against the max size allowed for my plan.

Is there anyone that can take a look at this and let me know if there is anything that needs to be done to this site?as far as cleaning up files and or updating the phpbb.
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:23 pm 

Well, that's hard to tell from the outside. How much space are you allowed? Do you have anything besides the forum?

As far as the forum is concerned, there are two major things I can see:

1. The gallery. Obviously, pictures take up a lot of space. If you can cut down on that somehow, it would help. Although you don't seem to have too many pictures up there.

2. Forum size. You have a lot of members, and a lot of posts to go with that. Pruning old topics would remove a lot of data and keep your forum fresh.

I think we also have a tool somewhere around to optimize search? Maybe someone can tell you more about that. The thing is that the search function basically copies every word ever posted on your board and keeps a note of where it can be found. As you can guess, that's also a lot of data.
SENECA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:32 pm 

Ok, thank you very much for that info.It seems I will have to get more involved in the process instead of just being a forum admin.
the size limit is 55000 and i am at 54500 after deleting some large files so that is what was likely happening.

Who would I get in touch with to go behind the scenes and look at this site in order to make sure it is being kept up properly or is that even needed.
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:55 pm 

Well, if you go with forum pruning it's very easy, you just have to go into the admin control panel, click Pruning under Forum Admin, select the forums you want to apply it to and enter the number of days of age you want to keep.

Another thing you can do is log into phpMyAdmin (if that's the database front-end you're using) and you'll see a column titled Overhead on the right. It shows which tables could be optimized to save some space. You can select those and select Optimize table at the bottom of the page. I'm not sure how efficient that would be considering your forum's size, but it may be worth looking into.

As for letting someone "go behind the scenes", you need someone you can trust with your passwords and data, obviously. From the top of my mind, I don't really see a use for it, though, if you only have your forum on the server.
SENECA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:02 pm 

Ok,I will do as you suggest.
Thanks again!
dogs and things
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:07 pm 

Careful with the pruning, a pruned post is a disappeared post.
Disappeared as in "gone forever".

Maybe getting a bigger plan is an option?

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:20 pm 

Yeah,I may wait on the pruning idea.i have noticed that there are several other 'test/development' forum databases the guy left on the server.I am assuming those are not needed anymore.As i remember it he was testing those until we came up with a site that we liked.not sure how or if I should remove them.I dont want to erase anything that is a necessity.
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group