phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

MultiBoards
1 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:19 pm 
Post subject: Re: MultiBoards

I did try but got no email activation.. Still waiting for it. Meantime I am setting up the new one to try to see what went wrong.

Msql will be ver 4.1 also so far so good.

Edit1: So far so good, this time no error page after the install. This is a good sign. icon_biggrin.gif

Edit2: Signup page is working .. waiting for activation mail now..

Edit3: activation arived, clicked on link to activate, got forum activated screen, clicked on link to go to the forums and got this error:
Code:
<?php define("MFORUM", "test"); include("seo.php"); ?>

Now what?? icon_eek.gif

I called GoDaddy on this and they escilated the issue. They said I was doing everything right and they don't know why its doing this either..

I suspect it may be something with their server settings or database settings. It wont even function when I "777" all file permissions..

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:53 am 

I have tested the install that I did and all is working without problems. From the Admin side of the whole set up I can upload new styles (strangely in zipped form) with these styles being available to each of the created boards.
Often with multiforum set ups the ability to backup the database has been removed so as to stop "customers" leaving and taking the site but it is there and working.
Word of warning - The version of phpBB2 is 2.0.20 so you may want to look at some of the essential security changes to the script. There is no Visual Confirmation so edit the core files to add the VIP code and keep out the bots.

I can think of an excellent use for this script. To set up a selection of discussion boards with non related content. I imagine a domain such as discussthis.com with individual boards such as
discussthis.com/tv
discussthis.com/politics/
discussthis.com/films/
discussthis.com/football/
etc etc etc
Each could have a different style suited to the content.

Good luck with Godaddy - not best known for their support.

Jim
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:07 pm 

Jim

What host are you setting yours up on?

Is the database on a different server or on the same server as the root files?

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:30 pm 

I have my own server (VPS)
The mysql server is on the same box.

Jim
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:18 pm 

Thanks Jim I think this is the problem I am having. The database is on a completely different server on GoDaddy and they are having issues communicating. GoDaddy is looking into this now, I'll let you know how it turns out shortly I hope.
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:29 pm 

MySQL permissions are a bit tricky when setting up for access across servers. It could be that the authors of the MultiBoard software did not anticipate that someone would attempt to run multiple installations without a local database.
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:42 pm 

I was thinking the same thing but I looked at the installation file and it seams that you have an option of installing host names other then just "localhost"

GoDaddy escalation team is working on it right now. But they are doing it through email so its going kind of slow. I have asked them to document the Godaddy install so we can include it in a read me file for future reference.
I guess we'll find out soon enough..

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:57 am 

Can I ask what purpose you intend to put this to?
If you are going to use it for it's intended purpose then are you on an account at Godaddy that is suitable.
If being used as intended then it would not be suitable for a shared hosting account in my opinion.
If used as intended then you would need an account were you were not going to get "chopped off" every time you hit 20% of server resources.
You would have to be thinking in terms of maybe a VPS or dedicated server.

Jim
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:10 pm 

Disk Space 10-Unlimited GB
Bandwidth 300-Unlimited GB

Since it is only for a max of 25- 30 boards this should be ok to start with.

I planed on upgrading to a bigger plan one I have a good Idea of the traffic and space necessary. Right now the bigger issue is getting it compatible with Godaddy. If I can't then I will have to pick a different host.

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:18 pm 

~Cowboy~ wrote:
Disk Space 10-Unlimited GB
Bandwidth 300-Unlimited GB

Since it is only for a max of 25- 30 boards this should be ok to start with.

I planed on upgrading to a bigger plan one I have a good Idea of the traffic and space necessary. Right now the bigger issue is getting it compatible with Godaddy. If I can't then I will have to pick a different host.

In shared hosting plans it is not usually either disc space or bandwidth that is the problem. Most of the plans give you more than you could ever use. The problem is shared server resources - most hosts setting a limit of about 20% as a cut off point. That is exceeding this figure would lead to suspension of an account. Despite the huge disc space and bandwidth they have what they call "fair" usage or resources. They do not allow the activities on one site to affect the running of others.
Check your hosting plan for such limitations.
If you are confident that you can make a success of this then you might want to consider getting something other than shared hosting.
I set a site up for my son on Model Ships and it proved to be such a success that he had the account suspended twice in the first month of existence.

One of the things that really aggravates me is the misleading adverts that you see for hosting. Sometimes terabytes of disc space and bandwidth -lets get real, they are offering more than there is on some of the servers.
They do this knowing that you could not possible use it.
Karl and I once came up with a plan to get such an account and then set up uploading gigabytes of data per day to see how long it would be before we got suspended. icon_twisted.gif Sadly we never did test it out.

You did not fully answer the question. Is it your intention to set this up and let others create sites and then either charge for such or seek revenue from adverts on the sites?
Is your Godaddy account a shared hosting one?

Jim
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:54 pm 

Yes, the GoDaddy account is shared and Yes I intended for some friends to come with their forums.

No, I don't intend to use ads.

Yes, this is a shared server I am trying to get setup on. But This was only done this way to avoid the more costly servers in the event that I can't get it sorted out on GoDaddy. I mean why pay $70 for 2 months if is not even going to work with them right? Once I get a better idea of the bandwidth necessary I will upgrade it appropriately.

This is not a commercial endeavor. It's more like setting up a board I like and sharing the settings with friends who don't even know how to code in html much less how to install there own mods.

I will install a pay pal for donations. But no one will be forced to pay. Its not a "for profit" venture.

Although if it works out well, one day I might start another just to see if it can actually make money.. But frankly I think the only people that make money from free boards are the server providers lol.

At this point I really hadn't really considered a "for profit" venture.

This was more of an effort to escape the ads and limitations of a free board.

~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:02 am 

Jim ,

Can you give me a copy of your config.php so I can have a look at how it's setup?

As far as I can see there is no setup for the config.php in the install.php so I was assuming that it was to be left alone on install.

The Godaddy.com tech support sent me this:

Moe F. wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting Hosting Support.

It appears that your config.php file has either been altered or incomplete for some other reason. The database connection string should reside in this file, and in this case, the only database information present is the $dbpasswd entry, and this entry has not been defined. You will either have to upload a complete and defined config.php file, or reinstall your application. You may also want to visit the publishers forums for further assistance with this issue.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
Moe F.
Hosting Support

I am at this point assuming that they jumped to the conclusion that this was a basic phpbb2 install.

I have informed them of the multiconfig.php and brought their attention to the table creation scripts and multiconfig.php setup within the install.php. I really can not find anything to point to the config.php though in the install.php Just to be sure I thought I would ask you for a copy of yours post installation so I can find out if any changes were made to it during installation.

This is what mine looks like after the install:
[code=php]<?php
$dbms = 'mysql';
$dbpasswd = $dbpass;
$table_prefix = MFORUM.'_phpbb_';
define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
?>[/code]

I was assuming that was the correct configuration of that file. Input?

It looks like it set up the tables so the connection to the database seams ok. However it did give the database a different name prefix then the other pbpbb files. Is that normal?
Here is a sshot of them:

Image link

Notice that the prefix is phpbb_ on the tables added by the install.php and test2_phpbb_ in the other tables... Is that normal?

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:59 pm 

Yes that looks correct. It is the file multiconfig.php that contains the database connection info plus your admin username and password to allow access to the admin section of the set up.
I have attached mine below.

Code:
Config.php

<?php
$dbms = 'mysql';
$dbpasswd = $dbpass;
$table_prefix = MFORUM.'_phpbb_';
define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
?>

multiconfig.php
This contains the database connection info and will be used by all the boards. It also contains the admin connection info to access your administration section.

<?php
#Domain - your domain with no http:// - e.g. "example.com"
$domain = "xxxxxxx";

#Script path - the folder phpbb is in - e.g. If you put phpBB at http://example.com/phpbb the script path would be "phpbb"
#If you put it in your root directory, leave this blank
$script_path = "xxxxxxx";

#Dtabase host - your MySQL host - usually "localhost"
$dbhost = "localhost";

#Database name - the name of the MySQL database you are installing this to
$dbname = "xxxxxxx";

#Database user - your MySQL user
$dbuser = "xxxxxxx";

#Database password - your MySQL password
$dbpass = "xxxxxxx";

#Admin username - used for accessing the control panel
$ausername = "Admin";

#Admin password - used for accessing the control panel
$apassword = "xxxxxxx";
?>

Jim
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm 

Ok then I have everything set up correctly then but when I create a forum and then try to access it from the browser I get this:
Code:
<?php define("MFORUM", "test"); include("seo.php"); ?>

What would cause this?

Image link

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:06 pm 

That is the content of the file called "test" that you should now see in the root of your install.
Have a look at the file .htaccess also in the root and check that it contains this
Quote:
<Files test>
ForceType application/x-httpd-php
</Files>

as that file is also written to at the creation of the individual boards.

Jim
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 3 of 5 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group