phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

phpbb2FM who is using this?

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
wkdwich
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:03 pm 
Post subject: phpbb2FM who is using this?

I'd like to know who elese here uses Fully Modded phpBB?
http://phpbb-fm.com/support/index_fm.php

I have installed it and have way too many hours into this at this point.

I have tested moving the users and posts from my highly MOD'd phpbb2 and that worked..

There are SO many MOD's, finding the settings can be just so frustrating sometimes. There is no decent documentation on the mods, I cant get to view the forum over there.. just keeps saying access denied.. I've emailed the admin there with no response.. even went so far as to donate thinking if I did I would be allowed access.. but nope..

So anyone here also using this in case I have some deep dark questions?
JLA
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:16 pm 
Post subject: Re: phpbb2FM who is using this?

Well, I guess you can say we are using a "modded" phpbb2 - but one of our own creation. PHPBB2 is a great starting platform and has done well with our over 120mil posts after making a "few" changes.

I'd be curious if PHPBB3 could even come close under similar circumstances.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:58 pm 

that particular phpbb2 premod was having many problems way before phpbb2 was abandoned. as far as I remember, many of the included MODs were never updated etc.

I don't think I would try to use it unless you know how to write the code needed to update some of those MODs.

plus, as you said, it has MANY MODs and you probably would not use most of them anyway.

might be much better to just MOD your own with only what you need.

robert
wkdwich
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:43 am 

OMG I got so many hours in this already.. tonight bouncing around I found a send new member welcom PM setting in one place, turned it off.. then moving around in the admin I found anohter place and it still showed ON.. so maybe I need to stand back and think here.. I do like the portal part of it and a few other items..
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:07 am 

Fully Modded just sounds like extra bloat to me. You should just pick the MODS you actually want to use and install them, in my opinion.
wkdwich
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:21 am 

Salvatos,

Right now I don't like you very much! You really got me thinking that maybe indeed I should go and just tweak what I have now..

so now for the past 2 hours I have been going through mod lists.. whats in phpbbFM, what I have now, what I like in phpbbFM and what is in the huge 14MB download here, what is not and what I can find at either phpbb.com or at phpbbhacks.com

Its a LONG list and I really have been jumping all over.. so I need to back up and make better notes as to what I can find, what I cant, what I WANT, NEED and would like icon_smile.gif

My biggest one is the portal. My site is uber extensive now. I have been wanting for ages to pear it down and this portal in phpbbFM seems to work very well - but of course THAT one mod I can't find.

Any of you using a portal and which one? Do any of you know which portal the FM version uses? Does anyone have the ZIP file for it?

yea I'm probably gonna be a PITA for a while here while I regroup and make a decision to forge ahead with the FM or start tweaking the existing.
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:01 pm 

I started by using Smartor's ezPortal and then modded my way out of it. You can integrate pretty much anything into your forum with just a few functions.

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/phpbb2-sessions-integration/
wkdwich
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:15 pm 

yup someone elase said the same thing.. gonna peek closer at it tonight.. meanwhile the bot registrations are back and I need some help with a quickie mod.. will start a new thread

-->> thinking I should put PITA in my sig icon_smile.gif Hope you'all don't start to hate me icon_smile.gif
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group