phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Upgrade a customized phpBB 2 to phpBB 3

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Xavierator
Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:03 am 
Post subject: Upgrade a customized phpBB 2 to phpBB 3

Hi, I have a customized phpBB 2.0.21 forum (http://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/) and I need to upgrade to phpBB 3.

I only see a convertor packed here: http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentat ... pgrade.php

How I can keep special changes to my forum upgrading to phpBB 3 ?

Maybe with a manual upgrade following instructions step by step ?

Thanks, Xavi
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:21 am 
Post subject: Re: Upgrade a customized phpBB 2 to phpBB 3

There are a few customizations (attachments, birthdays come to mind) that are handled by the phpBB2 -> phpBB3 conversion tool, but only because they're recognized and supported MODs with equivalent features in phpBB3. The development team could not possibly try to anticipate every MOD being part of the upgrade process so they only did a few.

Bottom line, if you have heavily customized your phpBB2 board and you want to try to map those features over to phpBB3, you will have to do the work yourself, or abandon those features during the upgrade. And in some cases you may have MODs or customizations on your phpBB2 board that have no equivalent in phpBB3, and you would either have to install phpBB3 MODs or write some custom code to replace those features.

Can I ask, what is the specific reason for your upgrade?

Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:29 am 

drathbun wrote:
... Can I ask, what is the specific reason for your upgrade?

yes, of course, one of them is we need to include Tapatalk in our forum, it not work with phpBB 2

another reasons is to get the new jobs included in phpBB 3 like security and so on

Here you have a lot of upgrades we have done in our forum: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=13160080#p13160080

Thanks, Xavi
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:36 pm 

Looking at your list of changes, I'm getting a feeling that porting Tapatalk using their API might actually be easier... Though I haven't seen what the API looks like.

Did you make the modifications yourself? As far as I can see, most of them are very customized changes that aren't likely to be found in general-use mods either on phpBB2 or 3. You may be able to find a few that do something close to what you're looking for, but you should go in expecting to do most if not all of the work yourself again.

The above is just my impression, though, I'm not a phpBB3 expert nor an expert in general.
Xavierator
Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:21 pm 

Salvatos wrote:
Did you make the modifications yourself?

yes, most of them

Salvatos wrote:
As far as I can see, most of them are very customized changes that aren't likely to be found in general-use mods either on phpBB2 or 3.

yes, I now, very special changes icon_sad.gif

Thanks, Xavi
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:55 am 

I have looked at tap-a-talk myself. I agree it would be easier to create a phpbb2 version, just won't have the time to even look at it further myself until next year at the earliest.
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:36 am 

Does the API look like it would be a lot of work? I have no idea what it looks like or needs and have nothing resembling a mobile, so I don't really want to bother registering there. But if it's not too much maybe I could help.
Xavierator
Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:12 am 

drathbun wrote:
I have looked at tap-a-talk myself. I agree it would be easier to create a phpbb2 version, just won't have the time to even look at it further myself until next year at the earliest.

It would be a great solution at this moment but maybe, in the future we will need to upgrade to phpBB 3 for another reasons we don't know at this moment.

now, I just installed tapatalk in our test forum (http://www.foro-minerales.com/Foro-Test), if you connect with iPhone for example, you'll get a message in your phone in irder to recognise that tapatalk is installed, but if you try to register tapatalk forum in their official web it can't be recognised because the phpBB 2 version

Thanks, Xavi
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:52 pm 

Quote:
It would be a great solution at this moment but maybe, in the future we will need to upgrade to phpBB 3 for another reasons we don't know at this moment.

One thing that comes to mind is if/when PHP decides to completely deprecate the mysql extension in favor of PDO. That would require changing every single database call and at that point I suppose it just won't be worth clinging to phpBB2 anymore. But I think it's safe to say we still have some years to go until they do that.
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group