phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Creating Copy for Upgrade Testing

Search this topic... | Search General Support... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
DakotaSurfer
Board Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:49 pm 
Post subject: Creating Copy for Upgrade Testing

I'm working on creating a copy of my current phpBB2 forum and then plan on converting the copy over to phpBB3 so I can create my own template. Here's what I've done...

I created a new folder and copied all the folders and files over to the new folder...

/board/ Current forum location

/board_old_/ Copy of current forum. I also created a new db and using export and import I moved all the tables through phpMyAdmin. I fixed the config.php file with the correct info, the only thing I need to to yet is change the script path from /board/ to /board_old/ in the Admin General Configuration screen. Is there an easy way to do this so the forum copy looks at the new path so when I go to convert it doesn't touch my original active forum? In what file is the script path kept? If I used the login screen it just takes me back to my original forum path.

Any help would be appreciated.
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:52 am 
Post subject: Re: Creating Copy for Upgrade Testing

none of that is necessary. when you do a conversion to phpbb3, your old board is not touched.
Information on how to convert from phpBB2 to phpBB3 is here.

Basically, you must have both phpBB2 and phpBB3 installed on the same server. After you have finished installing phpBB3 you will have the option to convert your phpBB2 board using the built in converter. The information it asks you for is related to the phpBB2 installation and can be found in its config.php file on the server. All of your users, posts, forums, PMs etc are converted. However, styles and MODs are not (with the exception of the birthday and attachment MODs which are supported by the converter). The phpBB2 database is not converted per se, it is merely read and converted/moved to the new phpBB3 database, so if it goes wrong your old board will not be affected at all. At the end of the conversion, once you're happy it's all working, your phpBB2 database and files can be backed up and removed if you so wish. They are not connected to the new installation in any way.

once you have done that, you will still have your phpbb2 board running just as it was and you will have a new phpbb3 board with all your phpbb2 members, posts, forums, etc. to work with.

when you are ready to make the real change you will have to do it all over again because you can't just convert the new posts, members etc. that occurred since you converted the first time.

so, I wouldn't do too much work on the phpbb3 board that you would have to do all over again.

there is really nothing that can go wrong when doing this conversion so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

luck,
robert
Salvatos
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:48 am 

I think lumpy said it all, but if you're still interested in the answer to your original question, here are the fields I play with when moving boards around for testing and such, in phpbb_config (I do it there but you'll find the same fields in the ACP):
script_path
(server_name and cookie_domain if needed)
(cookie_name and cookie_path if needed)

If I'm not forgetting anything (been a little while), everything else is a simple matter of copy-pasting files and db tables.

Oh, and I think board/config.php can only be edited manually, to use the right database, mainly:
$dbhost = '';
$dbname = '';
$dbuser = '';
$dbpasswd = ';

$table_prefix = '';

If you don't edit this first you'll end up changing the settings of your original board when you visit your new one's ACP. Which is also why the new one will still get its script path from the old one and log you into that one.
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:31 pm 

just to be clear, the config.php has nothing to do with the script path. it only tells the board where the database is and how to connect to it.

and yes, if you do want to copy things over, you have to change the script path in the config table of the database before it will access the new files you copied to your test server.

luck,
robert
Register or Login to Post    Index » General Support  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group