phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

Got a success story? Post it! :)

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:30 pm 
Post subject: Got a success story? Post it! icon_smile.gif

One of the reasons I wanted to be involved in this site was because I have been very happy (and successful) with phpbb2 boards. I started my first board in 2002, not too long after phpbb 2.0 was released. I had actually paid for a version of UBB and evaluated it against phpBB and a couple of other open source boards.

Obviously I picked phpBB2, or I would not be here today. icon_smile.gif

The board I started was installed in June of 2002 and formally launched to an existing mailing list community several months later. Today, as I write this, that board has nearly 485,000 posts and over 36,000 members. No, I won't post a link because it's not a subject that would be interesting to most of you, I would imagine. icon_razz.gif If you google you might be able to figure out what it is.

I have other smaller boards... for example I use phpbb2 as the core of the phpBBDoctor site. I had some interesting ideas for that site that never played out, mainly due to lack of time. Some of them will (hopefully) be reborn here and be useful. I have a MOD database that is functional (at least as far as what I was trying to do with it) and a almost-ready Knowledge Base. I hope to complete both of them for use on this site.

So even though one of those boards is really active and quite large, and the other is private, small, and not very active, I consider both of them a success because they are fulfilling the goals that I wanted to accomplish. So what about you? Do you have a successful phpbb2 board? How do you define success? Let's here those stories. icon_smile.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:03 am 
Post subject: Re: Got a success story? Post it! icon_smile.gif

I have had my phpbb2 board for 2 years now....
150 members and still going strong..........and I would like to give Lumpy a back on the back for all his help, when I needed him most
icon_wink.gif

You can take a peak http://www.addictivehobby.com/forum/index.php
Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:47 am 

I consider the first board that I built which was for Control Line model aircraft a great success. We have been going for just short of 5 years and whilst we still have just under 1000 members I consider it to be a success in that ours is very much a minority interest sport.
Others claim that it is the most successful one of it's kind. Others deal with a single discipline within the sport whilst mine deals with them all.
I built a second site almost identical to my own for my son (portal, calendar, gallery, etc etc etc) and his is probably the most popular model ship site on the net having over 4,000 members and at least 10 new members per day still joining.

The only problems that we have had have been caused by their popularity and we soon found that shared hosting plans were no good for us with our sites being image intensive. This necessitated(after 3 shared plans that failed) a move to a VPS account. We went for the highest spec account so that we had room to expand and now have with us 4 other modelling sites but at either free or nominal hosting charges.

It was our intention to do webhosting but we gave up the idea when we started seeing shared hosting being advertised at $30 a year and having many times the bandwidth and disc space that we are paying $1200 a year for. Theirs is unrealistic we know but many don't.
I had a site built in phpBB2 for that complete with wysiwyg "Word" type posting and John (now sadly departed) and I were going to set up boards for folks and install mods for a token charge. The board is still there but removed from sight.

On the whole my experience with phpBB2 has been a very positive one.

Jim
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:33 pm 

scotty wrote:
150 members and still going strong..........and I would like to give Lumpy a back on the back for all his help, when I needed him most
icon_wink.gif

What MOD did you use for color ranks? icon_smile.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
scotty
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:37 am 

Sylver Cheetah 53 wrote:
scotty wrote:
icon_wink.gif

What MOD did you use for color ranks? icon_smile.gif

It was Lumpy who set this up for me.........
I will try and find the mod for you..
icon_wink.gif
Holger
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:13 am 

Hi, just found phpBB2 refigees.
Really cool!

I have been into phpBB since version 1.
In 2003 me and my father launched a Scandinavian forum/site about machinery. It has grown to the largest machinerysite in Scandinavia.
Right now we have 84,000 posts and 7,700 members.
We have 26,000 photos as attachments and in the album and about 600 files in the download-area.
We are expanding the network rapidely.
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group