phpBB2Refugees.com Logo
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group

Register •  Login 

Continue the legacy...

Welcome to all phpBB2 Refugees!Wave Smilie

This site is intended to continue support for the legacy 2.x line of the phpBB2 bulletin board package. If you are a fan of phpBB2, please, by all means register, post, and help us out by offering your suggestions. We are primarily a community and support network. Our secondary goal is to provide a phpBB2 MOD Author and Styles area.

What Anti-Spam measures do you use?
2 members found this topic helpful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Search this topic... | Search phpBB2 Discussion... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
lumpy burgertushie
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:07 pm 
Post subject: Re: What Anti-Spam measures do you use?

Nightrider wrote:
lumpy burgertushie wrote:
I put up a vanilla test board earlier this year. I had not even visited it, much less made any changes to it, in several months. When I did, I found it full of spam bot registrations and also many, many spam posts.

That's interesting. I have a test vanilla board too installed on a subdomain that had several spam registrations and submissions in the last few days. It has been there for years without any problems, yet they just found it and started posting in it this week for some reason. I wouldn't even have thought to look if you hadn't mentioned your experience...

Image link

good time to test the RAC MOD and the ToolKit

use the toolkit to remove the spammers, install the RAC MOD and see no more spammers.

robert
RMcGirr83
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:51 pm 

I use the anti-bot question mod, and if really picky the Invitation only mod and if really, really picky I just shut down registration.

It's sort of a private board anyway.

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:03 pm 

good time to test the RAC MOD and the ToolKit

use the toolkit to remove the spammers, install the RAC MOD and see no more spammers.

Actually, the whole purpose of my vanilla test board was to keep it unmodified. Installing any security into it would defy the reason for its existance...

Luckily, on my modified Test and Live forums, I don't have any problems with spammers, knock on wood...

Image link
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:49 pm 

For most bots, having anything out of the ordinary is enough to keep them out. I have a thriving honeypot board where I can try out different approaches and it has been a fascinating project, to say the least. I also have some popular blogs that get hit by wordpress comment spammers too, and it is interesting to see some of the differences and some of the similarities in tactics.
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:02 pm 

I use the "No more spambots" MOD:
Code:
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
includes/usercp_register.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

if ( !($row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result)) )
         {
            message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Could not obtain next user_id information', '', __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
         }
         $user_id = $row['total'] + 1;

#
#----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#

if( $user_timezone == '-12' )
         {
            die('You can not register because you choose GMT-12. Please, go back to the registration page and select another option');
         }

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:08 am 

I have a number of legitimate users that - for whatever reason - selected that time zone. icon_smile.gif It is true that the vast majority of registrations that use that option for time zone are bots, but it's not 100% accurate. Besides I prefer the minimalist registration form where all you have to do to join is fill out your name, email address, and password. The rest of the profile feeds wait until you sign in for the first time.
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:55 am 

that is strange, that timezone is in the middle of the ocean.

are those members whales or sharks or lobsters or what?

robert
Sylver Cheetah 53
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:20 am 

drathbun wrote:
I have a number of legitimate users that - for whatever reason - selected that time zone. icon_smile.gif It is true that the vast majority of registrations that use that option for time zone are bots, but it's not 100% accurate. Besides I prefer the minimalist registration form where all you have to do to join is fill out your name, email address, and password. The rest of the profile feeds wait until you sign in for the first time.

Yes, but I've but a text saying "please do not select GMT-12". And even if they select it, they get a message saying "your account has not been created because you have selected GMT-12, please go back ant choose another option". So anyone should go arround this. At least, any man, not a robot. icon_lol.gif And secondly, I guess the majority of anti-spam MODs put something in the registration form. If it's "The Humanizer", it is a question wich is case sensitive so many could go wrong... If it's a visual confirmation, the image is not loading from people with ban internet connection or using proxy servers.
In my registration form I only have nickname, email, pass and time zone. I don't think is too much... And also, in phpBB3 time zone appears by default in registration, so should not be a surprise for the new member. icon_smile.gif

phpBB2 forever! icon_smile.gif
drathbun
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:34 pm 

that is strange, that timezone is in the middle of the ocean.

are those members whales or sharks or lobsters or what?

Lawyers!
Quote:
Question: What do you call 10,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?
Answer: A good start! icon_lol.gif

Some people probably pick it just to be different. On the team location map at phpbb.com I tried to put in coordinates for Antarctica, but it would not let me. icon_razz.gif

Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:15 pm 

Stevemaury is a lawyer. Just trying to get my post count up to be able to spam my website via the www link. icon_biggrin.gif
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:33 am 

Hmmmmm. Interesting observation about legitimate registrants selecting the first time zone. Back before I started using the RAC mod, after I got tired of checking registration IP addresses, zip codes, and any other information in profiles that might give me a hint as to the legitimacy of the new registrant, I finally just started deleting any registrant who selected the first time zone, for the reasons that Lumpy mentioned, (bots always pick the first one, and no one lives there). My board is a support board for a debilitating medical condition, and theoretically, at least, no one living in that time zone should be susceptible to that medical issue. I probably deleted close to a thousand registrants that way, but I never got a complaint.

After I installed the RAC mod, and asked the registrant to enter the second word in a certain phrase at the top of every page, I never got another spam registration, and no one ever e-mailed that they were unable to register because of that, though I did get a couple of e-mails from prospective registrants saying that they could not read the captcha code.

I tried several other anti-bot mods first, but none of them were consistently reliable. I've been using the RAC mod for over a year now, and it works so well that it almost seems like some sort of magic, compared with what I was dealing with before I installed it.
espicom
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:29 pm 

My "spam protection", such that it is, consists of my old "change the agree stuff" MOD, the old MOD to remove the website and signature settings from registration, code to ban anyone who uses the "standard" agree/coppa text or try to set website/signature on registration, and the "freecap" captcha replacement. Oh, and a couple of obscure changes I made to things, of little consequence.

Of the v2 boards in use, I've had 2 spam registrations in the last 12 months get through, out of about 20,000 attempts.
roadhog
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:21 pm 

After my last post, I turned off the captcha registration requirement, since it always seemed to allow a few bots to register anyway, before I added the RAC mod. With the RAC mod in place, I don't believe that I actually need it. So far, so good - zero bot registrations.
~Cowboy~
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:37 pm 

I install an option that is required and the top option is "spam bot". icon_biggrin.gif

By default spam bots choose the first option in the list if it is an unknown so they can complete the registrations. LOL This is why the bots are choosing that time zone...The idiots using it are to lazy to select an option. lol

Allow them to register so it doesn't alert them, then mass delete clients with that option ticked. icon_biggrin.gif

This way everyones question is different. Use a drop down question that is relevant to only your forum. Such as "What is your favorite game?" Then the first option should be something like: " I don't play games because I am a stupid spam bot" When the spam bot gets to that option and doesn't recognize it it will select the first option. Do not allow them to post though. Now each morning you can delete them and put their info in your ban list. icon_biggrin.gif Making your board stronger and stronger every time they try to post. Then add the info to Forumnuts spam list here:
Phpbb2 list

This list will stop spam dead in its tracks..It may be a bit to powerful for some boards though.

With the new Gmail abusing bots you should use a captua also because for some reason the bots using Gmail can't get past it yet.

For those of you that insist on phpbb3... There is a list for you also here:
Phpbb3 list

Jim_UK
Board Member

flag
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:08 pm 

I can never understand why anyone would want to go to the trouble of installing any mod that takes longer or is more complicated than the RAC (VIP) mod as it takes 5 minutes and is 100% effective.
Why complicate matters? I could never understand why the anti spambot topic ran on and on and on on phpbb.com.
I just felt like posting
"Install the RAC mod and now sod off and get a life"

Jim
Register or Login to Post    Index » phpBB2 Discussion  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 2 of 4 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Index • About • FAQ • Rules • Privacy • Search •  Register •  Login 
Not affiliated with or endorsed by the phpBB Group